Don’t give me that look.
Just hear me out! Only good things can come of it (i.e. cake).
So admittedly I’m a little out of it because of my impending finals. Last time the f word rolled around, I put olive oil in cookies, and now I’ve decided that the ridiculous creaminess of avocado in pound cake is an earth-shatteringly fabulous idea. [email protected]#$?
Spoiler alert: it is.
Start by making this incomprehensibly delicious batter. The rich avocado mixed with the sugar creates this magical caramel-y effect. Seriously. Try not to eat as much as I did.
Spread into a small-ish loaf pan and bake it up!
Just as a heads up, if you bake the cake in a regular-sized loaf pan like I did, the pieces will turn out pretty short. But worry not! This avocado pound cake is so so rich that a short (but still wide) piece will leave you more than satisfied with a giant smile on your face.
Gosh, I’m thinking of all the things I can do with this. Pound cake French toast? Pound cake bread pudding? Pound cake s’mores?
Adapted with love from Fake Food Free.
Yield: 8 slices
10 minPrep Time:
40 minCook Time:
50 minTotal Time:
- 1 cup mashed avocado
- 1/3 cup erythritol or sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar OR erythritol plus1/2 teaspoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon Ener-g egg replacer mixed with 4 tablespoon water OR 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour OR 2/3 cup almond meal plus 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed avocado, erythritol or sugar, brown sugar or erythritol plus molasses, egg replacer or eggs, and vanilla extract and still until completely smooth and combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Adding to the avocado mixture and stir until completely combined. Spread the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the oven at 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before cutting into slices. Devour.
Nutritional information calculated with erythritol, egg replacer, and white whole wheat flour.
What your favorite way to eat pound cake? (I found a great recipe roundup!)
Use this in all of them.