I just want to be straightforward here. This recipe rocks.
It doesn’t get a lot better than this, folks. Coffee cake. In the microwave. Just for you.
AND it tastes so great that it could put an overpriced coffee chain restaurant that happens to rhyme with Shmartucks to shame. Ever been tempted by that seemingly harmless loaf in the glass case? Congratulations, you’re human.
Well that seemingly harmless loaf is actually really very bad for you. But let me turn that frown upside down! I come bearing a substitute that is at least 87x better than the Starbucks’s version. (Oops! I said the name. Sorry about that. I really ruined the surprise there.)
This coffee cake is vegan, gluten free, grain free, low carb, sugar free, soy free, ready in less than 3 minutes, and only 130 calories for the whole spankin’ thing.
Another bonus? (Yes, another one.) This can be enjoyed for breakfast alongside some cocomeal in your pajamas and fuzzy slippers. Can you do that at Starbucks? Not without some pretty speculating (but secretly jealous) stares you can’t.
But hey, if you don’t just want to eat this in the morning, it’s your call. If you want to make this at eleven o’clock at night while watching endlessly enjoyable reruns of House Hunters, no one is judging.
I mean, if I had to judge you in that scenario, I would judge you as being really smart and having a lot of common sense. Duh.
You think so, too? I am so glad to hear you have your priorities straight. I’m proud of you.
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut (I used reduced fat coconut.)
- ½ Tablespoon almond meal
- 1 teaspoon applesauce
- pinch salt
- sweetener to taste (I used ½ packet of stevia.)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 egg whites OR 1 Tablespoon egg replacer plus 4 Tablespoons of water
- ¼ cup applesauce
- sweetener to taste (I use 1-2 packets of stevia.)
- Mix all the ingredients for the cake in a bowl and stir until completely combined. Pour into a large, greased, microwave-safe mug and set aside.
- Now mix all the ingredients for the crumb topping until completely combined, and sprinkle on top of the coconut flour mixture in the mug. Microwave for about 2 minutes, keeping a close eye on it to cook it shorter or longer as needed because microwave cooking times vary so greatly. (Just note: It took 2:30 in my microwave, but my microwave is older than I am.) Let cool for a few minutes.
I wasn’t supposed to eat the whole cake after I did the photo shoot. I took a few bites…then I took a few more…you get the picture. I have a feeling you may be doing that very soon, too. Right? Good.