Serving Size: 1 pretzel (1/4 recipe)
15 minPrep Time:
20 minCook Time:
35 minTotal Time:
- 3 Tablespoons Ener-g egg replacer mixed with 12 Tablespoons water (I have not tried this with actual eggs and therefore am not sure how it would work out.)
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, foil, or a silicone mat and set aside.
- Mix together egg replacer or egg, applesauce, minced garlic, and salt. Add in coconut flour and baking powder and stir until completely combined and thick. (Yes, this means about 2-3 minutes of stirring. Don't worry, it's worth it.)
- Turn the dough ball onto a lightly floured surface and knead until it comes together. about 2 minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into four equal parts.
- To form the pretzels, roll one of the balls of dough into a long thin rope. Be careful as this grain free dough is more delicate than its wheat counterpart. Put the two ends of the rope next to each other to form a tight U shape. Twist the ends together once so the twist is about half way down the U. Bring the two loose ends down to the loop at the bottom below the twist. Tuck the two ends under the loop and press so the dough adheres to itself. Gently pull the pretzel so the dough becomes thinner and the pretzel becomes larger to form a nicely sized pretzel.
- As for other shapes, you can bake the ropes for pretzels sticks, knot the ropes for pretzel knots, cut the ropes into little equal sized pieces for pretzel bites, or roll the dough into balls and scour the top for pretzel rolls.
- Lay the pretzels on the prepared baking sheet and spray with cooking spray (this helps the toppings stick). Dip the sprayed pretzels in a shallow bowl filled with your topping of choice (salt or cinnamon sugar) and place back on the baking sheet. Bake in the oven at 400°F for 15-20 minutes, or until firm and slightly golden, then broil for 30 seconds or until golden. Devour.
Nutritional information calculated with egg replacer.