I’m getting older today!
I’ll make this quick because I have way too much cake to go eat, but I wanted to throw a virtual shindig commemorating my sixteenth birthday with sprinkles instead of confetti. Consider this your cordial invitation.
In between bites of cake batter cookies, I’ve done a healthy bit of reflecting over this past year. Please know that I love you. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I’m so incredibly lucky for the opportunity to share cookies with you in my corner of the universe. Thank you for being here. You are wonderful.
Speaking of things that make you feel all happy, let’s talk about these cookies. Inspired from Sally‘s brilliant creation, I decided to put a healthy spin on what is sure to be a birthday classic. Because everyone knows nothing says celebration like sprinkles.
Taste test, scoop into cookie dough balls, sample, form into cookies, and eat. All not optional.
Pictures don’t do them justice. 1,000 words don’t scratch the surface. Epic poetry about these cookies would be much more accurate.
Here’s to an incredible year!
Adapted with love from Sally.
Serving Size: 1 cookie
10 minPrep Time:
12 minCook Time:
22 minTotal Time:
- 2 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour OR 2 3/4 cup almond meal plus 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup brown sugar OR erythritol plus 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1/4 cup melted butter or Earth Balance
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs or 1 Tablespoon egg replacer plus ¼ cup water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside.
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda, cane sugar or erythritol, and the brown sugar or erythritol plus molasses into the bowl of stand mixer. Alternately, you can add the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir by hand. Nothing a little elbow grease can't solve. Using the paddle attachment, stir the dry ingredients on low speed. Add in the butter or Earth Balance, vanilla extract, almond extract eggs or egg replacer, unsweetened almond milk, and apple cider vinegar and continue to stir until combined but not overworked. Stir in sprinkles.
- Using a 1/2 tablespoon measure, scoop the dough into balls and place on the baking sheet two inches apart. Press down into cookie shapes. Bake in the oven at 350°F for about 12 minutes. Let cool on wire racks. Devour.
Nutritional information calculated with white whole wheat flour, erythritol, and egg replacer.
Do you have any special birthday traditions?
I enjoy observing the birthweek as oppose to one day. And sprinkles. I do enjoy sprinkles.